Saturday, December 17, 2005

Looking Back 1

One thing I love about swimming is that when I swim, I don't need to think and things will come to me suddenly with amazing clarity. Exercise has this wonderful effect on people ..more oxygen maybe?

It's the time of the year again. I walked down Orchard Road and saw the pretty lights. It's the time of the year when people relax, have fun and think back on the year.

I remember about 3 years ago, a friend asked me at East Coast what I wanted to do. I told him of the many things I hope to do before 30. He told me at that point.."Cat, you'll have to make sacrifices."

I think at that point, I saw what he meant but I didn't understand it or wanted to accept it as much as when I met a very successful woman recently. Ladies, we expect a lot of our men. The fact is they do make a lot of sacrifices that we may not know about. The same goes for women...success comes at a price.

I think the lucky thing for me was I saw my vision when I was young. I saw it but I was not ready for it. I took a long road..gained much...lost much...disappointed people who loved me..saw things I liked..learnt things that I didn't like..it's been a long winding road.

I remember the end of 2004, I really looked forward to 2005. I mean I REALLY for the first time in my life couldn't wait for a new year to come. The past 3 years has been full of upheavals..small maybe compared to some people..with 2005 possibly being a climax. I hope 2006 won't be the same..upheaval yes but in the way I would like it to be. I would very much like to say I finally feel more mentally and emotionally ready for the things I had wanted to do but I may well look back and say I was still not ready this time. Let's hope I really am...though I can say I certainly feel more ready than the time I had talked to my friend at East Coast...a feeling of the dust settling.

I don't want to make resolutions because I won't keep them. I would like to say I made a decision. A very simple one but one that took 3 years to get me ready for it. I won't say it..I just hope at the end of 2006 I have done it and am closer to where I would like to be.

No comments: