Thursday, December 14, 2006

Strong Women

Society has moved on from the ages where men ruled the society. They still do in many areas but the women have fought their way and made their place in society. Women today are far more independent financially and perhaps emotionally and mentally.

No doubt, we are far more able to buy our first diamond ring ourselves, earn that top position in the company and decide for ourselves than compared to our grandmothers who would have probably done equally well if given opportunity.

We start to see well-groomed, well-articulated women with a swanky title rising as the stars and models of female success...in a public view at least. We admire the woman who made her way to be CEO of company X, CFO of company Y. They are often sharp and strong...to many who see them at least.

It is true, one has to be of certain strength to make it there. Yet, many seem to forget they are women too - REAL & HUMAN women with real tears, pain, hurt, pride and fallacies.

I have seen seemingly capable professional women make sad and questionable choices in their personal lives. While they may be out smoozing and making deals, they are also staring at the messages sent from their questionable relationships with sad, helpless eyes right round the corner. Behind that million dollar smile may well be much more pain and tears than most people know.

There's nothing wrong with these women. They are gorgeous, smart, kind and caring. So what's wrong?

Is it loneliness? Is it the price of success? Or perhaps strong women are really not as strong as they seem?

The modern woman dilemma is always the balance between your work and your responsibility to the home, a responsiblity shaped by the patriarchial socety. One can be the top manager at work but still keep the home spick and span. It's not just men who expect this of women. Even women expect this of themselves. Many, at least.

This trickles into the mentality behind a modern woman. No human likes to be vulnerable. In today's environment where women often have to fight amongst tight schedules, politics and scarce opportunities, women have gained a certain sense of independence and aggressiveness traditionally associated with men. Even the women themselves sometimes forget how vulnerable they can be.

Perhaps suppressing has caused our vulnerabilites to be even more than so. I have been wondering about this for a while and as I see more of it, I began to realise that it is often true...it is the strongest women who are also the most vulnerable. Friends have agreed with me on this and also that the seemingly vulnerable may not be as weak as they seem.

Strong women want to find their own personal happiness too... because end of the day, they are human too.

Woman

by Big Mama

It was hard for me to live

because I was being hurt by the painful and sad separation

I wanted so much to love again

Because I'm a woman looking for a place

where my delicate and worn heart may rest

If you love me, I don't ask anything of you

All you have to do is embrace my cold heart

Don't ask me, like a fool,

if I've already forgotten the seperation that was buried so deep.

Because I want to forget,

I'm trying to fill up my empty heart

that's been wounden by abandonment and been gouged by love.

If you love me, I don't ask anything of you

All you have to do is embrace my cold heart

Don't ask me, like a fool,

if I've already forgotten the seperation that was buried so deep.

Afraid that the tears that I've swallowed might gather in my mouth and burst

I can't answer you when you ask if it's okay to love me over and over again.

If you love me, I don't ask anything of you

All you have to do is embrace my cold heart

Don't ask me, like a fool,

if I've already forgotten the seperation that was buried so deep.

I don't care when and who

Like a habit, all I have to do is cover my tears.

Don't tell me that I love too easily and that in the end I'll be the only one hurt.

translation by: Jungie (aheeyah.com)

No comments: