Sunday, July 16, 2006

Eve Notebook - Kiss in Paris

Le Baiser de l'Hotel de Ville, Paris, 1950

A Límparfait De Lóbjectif
by Robert Doisneau
6- 29 June 2006
Alliance Francaise

I had first found this photo by chance at a gallery in JB while looking for photos to stick onto my bare walls. I loved it immediately for the sense of romanticism portrayed in a busy city. It was only a few weeks ago that I learnt this was a famous photograph taken by one of France's well loved photographers, Robert Doisneau (1912-1994). He was well known for taking pictures of normal people doing everyday tasks in the city, streets and sidewalks.

I had to go see the original composition when it came to be exhibited at the Alliance Francaise. I love his work for the warmth and simplicity of everyday life captured in his pictures that are taken with a warm black/white/sepia tone with a dosage of humour and humanity. It feels like his pictures are talking to you and you just can't help but smile. There was little glamour or posed beauty. Everything was simple but absolutely heartwarming to look at.
Go have a look if you can still catch it


No comments: