Monday, July 03, 2006

Enlightened Millionaire

Before I say meaningful things...Brandon Routh aka Superman is so gorgeous isn't he? Such nice deep eyes. Truth be told, nothing to do with racism and all, but I am just not attracted to Caucasian men. There's nothing wrong with them, they're just not my type. But Brandon Routh is so gorgeous..I think it's the eyes!

The other day I had a conversation with a friend. We were talking about having so much money we can help friends in need or the needy in society without blinking. I remember Robert Allen saying one should build wealth upon the betterment of others' lives.

My friend (always a source of inspiration for my writing) shared a story with me about Gates foundation. As you know, Warren Buffet donated a staggered US$60 billion to the Gates Foundation. One may think that of all people, why donate the money to possibly the richest man on Earth?? Well a lot of people seem to notice so much of the bad press about Microsoft that they forget Gates Foundation is also one of the most generous charity foundations around.

There was a particular school in the U.S. that was funded by the Gates Foundation. There were no textbooks or exams. Everything was pc and web based and grades were given based on projects. The school produced many Ivy League graduates with great sense of creativity.

I thought it was a smart move. From a business angle, the company trains possible talent for the company in future (intellectual resource is so valuable these days). Resources used are the company's core competencies (pc, web and of course office) thus costs are minimised. This move has achieved good business objectives while contributing to society.

Perhaps this is what Robert meant by enlightened millionairedom. It kinda gave me a greater understanding of the kind of business I would like to have one day and perhaps more importantly, the kind of person I would like to be. I guess life always finds a way to give you an answer just when you need it at a time when you least expect it.

Cheers to living, realising your dreams and that of many others along the way!

No comments: