Saturday, April 15, 2006

Look In

I like looking at babies because when you look at them , what you see is what you get. There is no pretense, no facade, no front to hide, protect or deceive the world.

When we were younger, things and people were a lot simpler. We laughed when we were happy, cry when we are sad, declare love when we feel it and show anger when we are upset. As years passed and life grew on us, many of us slowly developed another side that we choose to show the world.

As life delivered its lessons, we all found our own ways of dealing with it. We made friends with realisation, realism, cycism and sometimes escapism. Some learnt to deal with life in a strong and positive way, some much less so. However, somehow or other, we all developed a certain persona. This persona helps us to save our pride, protect us from harm and be acceptable to society.

How many times have you wanted to express your own opinion or anger but held back for acceptability? How many times have you created an illusion to be more or less than you are ? Perhaps you have felt love but held it back because you were too proud to admit it? Have you turned love away because you were afraid to get hurt?

Once, twice or many?

There are times when you deal with someone and for an instant can feel the true essence of a person. An essence that shows that person is not trying to be nicer than he or she really is, isn't trying to hide or run and is truly showing you the fundamental core that makes him or her human. I love it when I stumble upon such moments. Even bad boys have such sides too.

Sometimes you may also notice this true side more when people are with the people who spent their growing years with them like old school mates, good long time friends. Perhaps it is due to lowering of guard?

I believe my friends have questions of my judgement about men. Call me stupid or delusional but very often it is that true essence that I saw that moved my heart. My mistake was not recognising how strong someone can hold on to the persona he has created for himself. Love someone simpler? You love or you don't. You can't fake it or force it. It's that simple.

The same goes for people in general. Why do I choose to believe in some people? Because it is that true self I see. Perhaps it is my hope they will let the true self shine through the wall they have created. It isn't always the case though and sometimes disappointments ensue.

I may love a person for all that he is, exterior or interior..but it is that true self that forms the core of my love and respect. All I am asking for is a little truth...the truth which I myself am seeking to find and show more too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suddenly recalled a little conversation from sometime back when I heard Michael Buble's Home...

"You look really happy today...what's up?"
"Don't know...maybe because I haven't seen you in three days?"

*smile*

@-;--

No comments: