Thursday, June 01, 2006

Purpose

Some time back, two guys asked me over teh "What is your purpose in life?"

Wow big question for teh late at night or more like early in the morning.

Strangely, my answer was "Never thought about it."

Well, the truth was a little further. It was not that I never thought about it. I thought a lot about it. I just never quite found the answer.

I think the answer had presented itself to me often. I just wasn't sure. I learnt that everyone had a purpose here. I often told my friends that one day I believe I will spend my life serving humanity for a humanitarian or religious reason. I do think my purpose has to do with servitude. I do not know the exact details. Thus, in that quick moment, I guess it came out as "never thought about it."

A friend told me yesterday that when you find your purpose in life, your path will unfold itself in line with your purpose. The path may change along the way but the destination remains the same.

Let me share a short story here. I had borrowed the book called "The Alchemist" by Paul Coelho from my friend long time ago. I love his books. Somehow, I never made it past the first few pages. Thus the book sat on my shelf for a long time.


I had been taking a rest for the past few days and with my laptop down, I didn't have much opportunity to do work. Therefore I had some time to do the things I had put aside for a while like sleep, organise my stuff and read.

I am one who has come to realise that in life, there are no coincidences. Everything happens at a particular time and place for a particular reason. Once one began to see that, one would find that the world was often so accurate in timing it is amazing. I picked up the book this morning and it talked exactly about this topic that had come to mind. It talked about purpose, journey and recognising the signs that the universe gives you to bring you there. I have had this happening a lot of times where sometimes a book, a passage, a song or even a person comes along just at the right time. Talk about signs. The problem is we just don't know how to or decide not to read them.

I have been in a crossroad for a while. Everytime I step out of it,I find myself in a bigger one. Maybe I never got out of it. Maybe that is what life is. After all, life is full of choices. I learnt some time back that sometimes one has to let life bring them to the places they are supposed to be where trying to lead it.

Dear life, may you bring me to beautiful places that will lead to a purposeful destination.

An irrelevant quote: "Give me a man who is man enough to give himself just to the woman who is worth him. If that woman were me, I would love him alone and forever." - from "Bernardo Guardi", Casanova.

@-;--

No comments: