Friday, June 02, 2006

Ge Ge

For those of you who had been reading, you might be able to remember a previous entry about my father. Today, I would like to write about my brothers.

One of the best books I ever read about love and relationships was introduced to me by someone I held dearly. It's called "The Five Languages of Love" by Gary Chapman. I have recommended this book to many and actually helped saved a relationship in the process :P

In the book, it says we all have different ways of receiving and giving love. I realise this was not only characteristic of the romantic love between two persons but also between family and friends. Today, the focus is on family thus family it is.

My family has always been quite traditional. We do not talk about our problems or show our emotions very much. When I was young, I used to think maybe my brothers don't care about me. It was many years later that I realised their way of showing love was not by words of assurance or physical affection but by acts of service instead. They showed me by seeing me through university, sending me home quietly and reprimanding me when needed.

Today I felt a great warmth and happiness. I had shared with my eldest brother something that happened recently. At first, he did not show much reaction. However, later in the day, he contacted me a few times to ask how I was and showed concern. Turns out he has asked around for people who could advise us on what to do and he offered financial help if I needed any. The part that really touched me was when he showed concern for me in the small details and asked me to take care.

People, this may not sound much to you, but to me, it was a first.

My family has never been the perfect picture of family harmony and togetherness. Over the years, the siblings have learnt to grow closer. With this little episode today, it was the first time in my life I truly felt happy to have my family even if it was not picture perfect. In a way, it was the first time that I truly experienced the feeling of family.

It's a nice feeling :)

@-;--
I am worried about you too...

No comments: