Monday, May 08, 2006

Change of Boxes

Ahhh another recurring topic so I decided to write about it.

The other day, while a couple of us were having supper, someone commented at our variety of interests. We can be smoking cigars, drinking wine and yet end the night with say dim sum and teh tarik. We should be eurasians, part arab, part european, part asian etc.

Confused? Well travelled? Flexible?

This morning I had a conversation with another friend. I was sending her some nice French music. I told her I was a partial audiophile who can be particular about music and sound quality to some extent. She asked me if I was auditory type. Frankly, I always had difficulty answering that question.
I think a lot in pictures so that makes me visual. I am moved my music and sound so that makes me auditory. I am not averse to human touch so I am kinesthetic?

I guess if I really have to isolate it, I am more visual. To that she said it was unusual for a self proclaimed introvert.

That brought me to think. Do we have to live in type A, type B box defined by books?

I realised sometimes we set too many boundaries for ourselves. If book says x+y+z= type a personality, we define ourselves as that. If something seems out of the box, it's strange.

Yes I do agree about statistics that these generalisations are for general public. As people start to travel more and get exposed to different things, isn't it possible for people to like vastly different things and be influenced by different things as well?

I could never fit into these boxes nicely. I always sat on the borderline. I never quite belonged to the extreme in anything. Remember a few entries ago where I mentioned that I was an introvert perhaps even more than an extrovert? People told me after that they were the same. If that is the case, why define yourself according to what is introvert or extrovert? Confused? Adaptable? I prefer to think of it as adaptable. After all, isn't it better to think positive of who you are then trying to squeeze into a box that does not fit you?

So what if I like pop music as much as I like jazz and french and spanish music? So what if I like to sit down at that old coffeeshop for porridge as much as I like to sit in that cool lounge for wine? So what if I like to be alone and need to connect with people too? Maybe people can say it is confusion that leads to nowhere. However, if there is so much in the world, why limit yourself to just those few possibilities?

I can't say this will stay the same for years to come. Maybe somewhere down the road I will start to swing to certain aspects more. That is a possibility too. There are so many possibilities. After all, the only thing that is constant is change isn't it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.