Sunday, May 14, 2006

Anger Management

I must admit while I can be amazingly patient at times, my temper is usually shorter than what I'd like it to be. As humans, we tend to be affected by other people's insults, criticisms and so on. I read a short story that I'd like to share here. I found it to be simple yet interesting food for thought.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once there was a Brahmin, a person of high rank and authority. This Brahmin had a habit of getting angry, even for no reason. He quarrelled with everyone. If someone else was wronged and did not get angry, the Brahmin would get angry at that person for not being angry.

The Brahmin had heard that the Buddha never got angry. One day he went to the Buddha and abused him with insults. The Buddha listened compassionately and patiently. Then he asked the Brahmin, "Do you have any family or friends or relatives?"

"Yes, I have many relatives and friends", the Brahmin replied.

"Do you visit them periodically?" the Buddha asked.

"Of course. I visit them often. "

"Do you carry gifts for them when you visit them?"

"Surely. I never go to see them without a gift," said the Brahmin.

The Buddha asked, "When you give gifts to them, suppose they do not accept them. What would you do with these gifts?"

"I would take them hone and enjoy them with my family." answered the Brahmin.

Then the Buddha said,"Similarly, friend, you gave me a gift. I do not accept it. It is all yours. Take it home and enjoy it with your family."

The man was deeply embarrased. He understood and admired the Buddha's compassionate advice.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe I was reading too fast but it took me a few seconds to absorb the story. I think it's a nice way of dealing with anger and mindless negativity. Hope this is useful to you too :)

@-;--

5 comments:

William said...

"Do not let your intellect become the slave of emotion. Let your emotions serve your intellect, as a powerful banked fire would serve a house. Be not angry."

Kismet said...

Wow that's quite a comment. Thank u!

William said...

It's also a little pompous - but then I guess all the best maxims, rules and resolutions we set ourselves are kind of high and mighty - great if we could live up to them. I was just furious with someone the other day - for an act of betrayal - but it did little good to the situation - it did me good though (getting angry can be cathartic) but it did nothing to help get done what I wanted done. That's the thing about anger, it's usually one of those selfish emotions, like fear. Though there is such a thing as selfless anger, where your concern is only for someone else.

Kismet said...

I am not sure if anger can ever be selfless because in anger we are selom able to execute self control. I agree that anger can be a form of release and it's human to be angry. However, we act unlike ourselves, we do something that may hurt another and chances are we do...

William said...

Perhaps. What about Jesus cleansing the Temple in Jerusalem? Was he angry? Perhaps not. Yes perhaps you are right. Anger rarely serves good purpose anyway - so I concede the point. You are right and I am wrong.