Sunday, November 27, 2005

The Complexity of Simplicity

As human beings we all proclaim we want things to be simple. We always ask, why can't life be simpler? Why can't people be simpler? Why can't situations be simpler?

In talking to people recently, I noticed something. While we desire simplicity, sometimes we simply love to complicate our own lives. Something may be placed in our hands, to our faces in all its simplicity but we would want to twist and turn, think too many things about it. I think this is especially so for women. We think too much about the story, the intention and the possibilities behind a small act, thing or situation. This is something which I think men find hard to comprehend.

I didn't realise it until I noticed it in my gal friends recently. Then I thought "oh gosh I was like that??" Poor men who cannot understand and poor women who have to pay the price for it. For the first time in my life, I can actually bring myself to say..Ladies, men can be incredibly simple creatures. Don't bother to read too much into things and kill your own brain cells in the process. I found it quite amusing to hear some of my gal friends come up with all sorts of "conspiracy theories" behind every damn thing, big or small. Why bother? Sometimes the truth may already be in your face. We just don't admit that's all. Denial is a blessing and a curse.

Of course I don't think it's limited to women only. Men also think too much of women's actions at times when it's not necessary. Well, we are all but human I guess. I think the modern individual has sometimes been so tuned by circumstances that we can no longer accept simplicity or find it hard to believe. Human imperfections I guess :)

No comments: