Thursday, January 24, 2008

Kinda Sad, Isn't It?

I am gonna whine a little.

I have always regarded myself as pretty independent but there are times when I do wish for support from those who matter. I know they can't always be there but there are certain times and stages in life where you wish that those who matter are there.

I always look back and regret I wasn't there for my buddy when she first started out in MLM. I wasn't there when she was struggling to make her business a success. I wasn't there when she needed my support the most. I was there to witness her success but I wasn't there to hold her during her climb. This till today, remains a regret.

It's strange really. I don't know why but it seemed that during most times when I really hoped for the support of those who matter, it wasn't there. Sometimes they were, but most of the time, it had to come to a point where I was crying for help. For the times that they were there, I truly am grateful and I feel blessed.

Sad things aside, there are also important things in my life that I hope to share with those who matter because I cannot possibly share my life without it.

Recently, writing has become a very big part part of my life. If one were to ask me to share about my life, writing would definitely be a part of it. Yet, I realised recently that if I were to ever publish in future and if I were to write a page of acknowledgment of thanks to the people who have stood by me all the way, there would be few of the names I hope to see there.

I am guilty of it too. I sometimes forget to be there when I am needed. But the truth is, when that stage passes, there is no way you can share that anymore. The time has passed and so has the opportunity. As time passes, I stop sharing because I don't know how to share it anymore. Just like when I failed to be there, I missed out on a big part of that stage of her life.

If I were to ever look back and write that page of acknowledgment for the people who have stayed with me all the way, I would not be able to write my family or most of my close friends in real life. Instead, it would be filled with nicknames of people whom I don't even know their real names, people from all over the world who have read, commented and encouraged me since day one.

I understand that everybody's busy and my parents can't really read English so I can't really expect people to be there but sometimes it does feel a little sad that it is perfect strangers who understand the love in my life more than the people whom I thought would understand. I really don't blame them because I have learnt to accept it. It simply means I have to learn to be a better storyteller and/or a better friend.

But still, for the times that they were there, I am truly blessed.

2 comments:

cheekysalsera said...

If you ever get the right time, try making an offer to share what you've been doing. Sometimes, the people whose support you'd appreciate most might not know how to support you. It takes a bit of trial and error to reach a level for both sides to be comfortable with.

Don't focus too much on the opportunities that've already passed. Just make sure you catch the future ones when you see them coming ;)

imp said...

it's probably also the fact that we need different groups of people in our lives.

that kinda affirms the reason for you writing, telling you that you're reaching out to many different people.

at the end of the day, you are appreciated in one way or the other. :)