Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Goodbye GHP

I am writing this moments before I pull the plug on the modem at GHP and I had barely slept last night because I was packing my things to move back home. I had done my last laundry and most of the things have been packed. If you do not know, GHP is the place we had fondly named our house for the past year.

As I looked at the bare walls that my pictures used to adorn and the floor where my books used to lay, I can’t help but remember the time when I just moved in when the house was equally bare.

Finding a house was difficult but we fell in love with GHP the moment we saw it. I love the pool and the bright, airy view that came with this house. I still remember people saying my room looked like a monastery when I first moved in because it was so bare. By the time I decided to move out, people called it the coziest room in the house and that I looked like I had settled in.

Settled in I have been indeed, because I have grown to love this place that provided a source of serenity to me. As the year went on, the room began to take shape as I decorated it painstakingly. It was not just filled with the physical decorations but also the memories of tears and laughter I had in this room. There were countless Eve Code entries, endless nights of tears and laughter and unforgettable times spent with friends here. There were also quarrels, fights and silent frustrations. They all made up the one year chapter in GHP.

People have many ways of dealing with pain. Perhaps moving to GHP was one for me because it took so much of my attention that it took my mind off things. It’s uncanny how life is that we are moving out almost exactly one year after we have moved in. Moving was perhaps my desire to escape from that particular chapter in my life and now again, moving marks the end of the chapter that had been written over the past year that I had spent escaping the previous one.

I went back to my old place the other day to pack to get ready for moving in. Frankly, it felt foreign to me but I have little choice. I realized there were many things I kept because I didn’t have the strength inside to throw them away. I finally did it. In fact, there are probably more things I can still throw. I think the therapy for the last one year worked in that sense.

I wish I could have taken a picture to share with you but alas my little sanctuary will remain just a memory.

Goodbye GHP, I will miss you.

No comments: