Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Lover

Today I am going to talk about a lover I had for the last 3 years.

There's love at first sight but it wasn't the case for me because my lover was difficult and new to me. It had started out of my self-interest and I didn't really know if I love my lover then.

As time passed, there were times I felt like leaving, times I asked if my lover was right for me. I have seen my lover's down days, felt the irks and also felt moments of satisfaction. I've had affairs but I always came back to it. Strangely, it never really occurred to me to leave.

And before I knew it, 3 years had passed. Recently, I took a hard look at my lover and realised that while it had never been burning like a bonfire, I do love my lover. I prefer it this way; to love slowly despite all ugliness than to claim a wild fire at the start which may die out eventually.

Don't know who my lover is? I talk about it quite often actually.

It's my business in wealth managment.

There are days which I have considered dropping it. There are people who have asked me to leave for something else that has the comfort of a monthly salary. I have tried some ventures here and there but somehow I never got round to leaving. It was through time's passing that I slowly realised the love for the work.

It hasn't gotten easier. If anything, it's become more challenging and competitive than ever. Yet, I realised in this business, it's really about the people. I have grown a certain affinity to my clients, especially those who continually make my stay in this business worth it. My relationship with this work is different from the love I have for writing. Its akin to the comparison between a steady flame to a burning wild fire. They are both love, just different.

I think it means a lot to me. I can safely say not many people can say they like their job, much less love it. For a very big part of my life, I have been searching and I can quite happily say that I am gettin closer to realising the things that matter, the things I want and the things I was meant to do - not decided by anyone else but me.

All I ask is for God's blessings to succeed because He knows I am not a hard core hard sell salesman. Other than that, I am really quite grateful.

No comments: