Thursday, December 27, 2007

Eve Notebook - Bangkok Dec 2007

I just went to Bangkok last weekend for five absolutely hot guys.

No, not a dirty weekend. Sorry to disappoint you.

They are...

Dong Bang Shin Ki, The Rising Gods of The East

Ok I shall not try to digress from the objective of this post which is to talk about Bangkok.
Bangkok traffic is still bad as ever. A bad jam can drag out what may be an hour trip to two. I stayed at Dusit Thani hotel which was situated just outside Silom train station. It's proximity to the Sala Daeng BTS station also made it convenient to get around.


Being a major hotel, Dusit Thani came with the full works: pool (a tad too small), gym (which was very impressive by the way), restaurants and spa. The rooms were nicely furnished though there wasn't much of a view frankly. The service was pretty helpful though I really would have expected their frontline staff to have a stronger command of English.

I didn't get to shop much or walk around much this time but I did find a very nice little joint a few minutes away from the hotel.

Unfortunately, I was down with possible infection of the intestines just before the trip. Thus, I had to avoid overly strong food during the trip. Thus, you can imagine my joy when I found Wai Thai.

Using a modern open kitchen concept along with cool jazz music in the air, Wai Thai was cool and clean. Claiming to serve healthy Thai food made with fresh ingredients and no oil, no salt, no sugar and no MSG added, I must say I was curious. Is it even possible?

Apparently it is.

My mushroom noodle soup came looking very decent. So it looks good, but does it taste good?

I must say I was suitably impressed with the taste. The dark soup was sweet with a tinge of mushroom. The vegetables were fresh and the mushrooms were succulent. The noodle was cooked to yummy softness. If they had managed to achieve such a taste without adding all that, I must say I have to be impressed. Even my drink of Carrot with Ginger was refreshing with just enough of ginger to not kill the drink.


I liked it so much that I went back for a second visit with my friend and she also found favor in the joint for its cool and cosy interiors along with healthy Thai food. The only thing I thought strange was that Paad Thai is cooked differently in Bangkok compared to here. The Paad Thai is actually sweet there compared to the salty ones here.

In terms of shopping, I went to MBK and nearby where I found a lot of cool t-shirts going for less than $10. Yes no prizes for guessing what I bought. Of course you do get people trying to get you into one of the sleazy joints where the ladies (maybe men too) with heavenlly bodies in bikinis will make you regret your sumptuous dinner, but hey it's all part of the charm.

I sure hope to see more of Bangkok next time :)

No comments: