Sunday, November 04, 2007

Rendition

Ah it's been a while since I watched a powerful and thought provoking movie. Thus, it delighted me greatly to have watched Rendition.

I am honestly surprised that someone dared to make this movie because one stands to offend a lot of people even if it's probably the bloody truth that everybody knows but no one wants to admit.

The story centers around a few families whose lives are intertwined and yet separate through the common theme of terrorism; The innocent man wrongly accused of being a terrorist and the trauma of his family on his mysterious disappearance, the angst of a Muslim family on losing their daughter when she runs away from her home to be with a boy who turns out to the protaganist terrorist of the movie.

The main theme in the movie poster is "What would you do if your loved one suddenly disappeared?"

I love how the storyline explained how seemingly different innocent people are affected differently by terrorism and yet stay very much within this theme. Instead of focusing on the cliche angle of innocent killed by terrorism, the movie went into the wrongly accused, the terrorist and the innocent in the other side of the world.

The imagery in the movie is provocative. The way the director directed the flow of the story is also excellent. I won't say how, just watch it for yourself to know the nice twist in the timeline towards the end.

I felt a lot of subtle and not-so-subtle sarcasm and questions in this movie. I applaude the director for first filming this in possibly a dangerous location. I also applaude the courage to pose the questions through this movie. It offers a very real look at terrorism, not just the violence, but also the very human aspect of it.

i will not go into too much of the thoughts it gave me. Do watch it and let the questions come to you. Definitely goes down as of my most memorable movies ever.

http://www.renditionmovie.com/

No comments: