Monday, August 11, 2008

A Morning

I had quite a morning.

The first thing that happened really shook me a little. I was taking a nap as I had woken up really early. Just before I woke up, I was in a dream where I seemed to be sleeping just like I was real life. I wonder if I was really dreaming when I think about it now.

I felt like someone was pressing on me on the side. I don't know why but I thought maybe it was a child playing with me, pressing my comforter on the side of my face. For some reason, I thought I heard people playing mahjong so I thought maybe my mum was playing. It was strange I thought of it because it wasn't possible.

The strange thing was I tried to talk, to get the feeling off my face but no sound emerged from my throat. I tried again and failed. I couldn't open my fingers either. I felt awake and yet not. After what seemed like a long time but probably half a minute, I opened my eyes and woke up to my actual life.

It was really bizarre.

The second incident is a far more positive one. I watched the 100m men backstroke as I walked to the kitchen. When I saw the atheletes getting ready, I could feel the tension written all over their faces. It was like their whole lives hung on that one swim.

I also saw the prize award ceremony for the 100m breaststroke. A Japanese swimmer Kosuke Hitajima (I think?) had beaten a Norwegian and a French to clinch the Gold. He was a smaller guy compared to the other two and he only came to the same height when he stood on the winner's elevated platform, but that did not stop him from winning the gold. As an Asian, I felt proud and moved even if it was not the Singaporean flag they were flying or our National Anthem that was echoing off the walls. For a moment, I understood what atheletes meant when they say they are proud to represent the country.

It must be quite an irony that the Japanese flag and anthem should fly high in Beijing, given the history of the Japanese and Chinese.

Nonetheless, good luck to all the atheletes and to all the Asian athelete, thank you for making us proud.

No comments: