Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Letter From A Widow

I came across a short story today that I took notice of because it kinda reminded me of one section in my new story even if it wasn't exactly the same. I was so moved by it that I nearly cried on the train while reading it. Thus, I am re-typing it here to share with you.

LETTER FROM A WIDOW

By Dr James Dobson

At Focus on the Family in Colorado Springs, we receive about a quarter-million letters and phone calls every month, and we take every one of them seriously. I want to share one of those letters with you today, which could have been written by any number of people who have faced a similar problem.

A woman writes, "I was married for 30 years, but my husband died recently.Now I need your help.

"Tell me how I'm supposed to act as a single. I need to learn how to have fun alone, to know what to say, what to do, and not do. Tell me how to come home to an empty house, not being needed, having no one to take care of and no one to share life with.

"How do I learn to enjoy life again? I married the second man I ever dated, and he was my best friend, my lover, my companion. How do I find love again? Any man I would date would not want to talk about my husband, but I just can't put 30 years behind me, and deny that they ever existed. Tell me, where fo I go for answers? And do those answers exist?"

And then she signed her name. Well, this woman will learn to live again, but it'll take a little time for her wounds to heal and her heart to mend.

I shared this letter today to heighten the sensitivity of all of us to the plight of those who have suffered the loss of a loved one through a death or a divorce. It's one of the most traumatic experiences in living.

Excerpt from Today newspaper 13 Aug 2007

No comments: