Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Always In The Right Place

A phrase has been coming into my mind these few days...

"You are always in the right place at the right time."


I first came across a phrase like that in the song "Welcome To Wherever You Are" by Bon Jovi.


Maybe we're different, but we're still the same
We all got the blood of Eden, running through our veins
I know sometimes it's hard for you to see
You come between just who you are and who you wanna be

If you feel alone, and lost and need a friend
Remember every new beginning, is some beginning's end

[Chorus]
Welcome to wherever you are
This is your life, you made it this far
Welcome, you gotta believe
That right here right now, you're exactly where you're supposed to be
Welcome, to wherever you are

When everybody's in, and you're left out
And you feel your drowning, in a shadow of a doubt
Everyones a miracle in their own way
Just listen to yourself, not what other people say
When it seems you're lost, alone and feeling down
Remember everybody's different
Just take a look around

[Chorus]
Be who you want to, be who you are
Everyones a hero, everyone's a star
When you wanna give up, and your hearts about to break
Remember that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes


I then came across the same phrase in a reading I had which told me that I must always believe that I was right where I was supposed to be.

I don't know why this came to my mind again recently but I do realise that more often than not, we wish we were somewhere else, doing something else, being someone else other than where, what and who we are now. Sometimes we look back and cringe at things we have done, said or places we have showed up in.

I know because I cringe too. However, whenever someone asked me if I would change anything if I had a chance to relive everything again, my answer was surprisingly no. Well, as embarrassing as some things may be and as much as I wished I did certain things better, I realise that without them, I wouldn't have learnt things that I am now grateful for. So I think I would have probably lived through most of it again.

Sometimes, it isn't even the big things. You may think that it's useless now but it could come back to you in a big way and make a difference to your life somewhere down the road. I still remember a speech given by Steve Jobs a few years ago. One of the things he talked about was the calligraphy classes he took back in university which seemed utterly useless on the practical scale then. Ten years later, it is the reason behind why Mac became the first computer with beautiful typography.

I have always loved dance and my foray into dance was really rather accidental, borne out of curiousity than passion. The passion only came later. The move into salsa was also the same, a seemingly small unpractical hobby that has now turned into a teaching vocation; a vocation that has offered some monetary assistance in times when my main business is taking a hit from the markets.

My interest in all things Korean also came out of an accident. I happened to watch excerpts of a serial at a foodcourt in Tampines. For some reason, I picked up the drama which I usually hated and watched it. That started my interest in Rain and Kpop. Now you may wonder what's the relevance and significance. It was my eventual discovery of DBSK and fanfics that sparked my interest to write fiction. That happens to be a huge love in my life now. Discovery of a lifetime, you may say.

All from seemingly small, useless, unpractical loves, habits and quirks.

Maybe there are days where we dread to be where we are at but maybe within the wheels of fate, there is a reason why one is there which will unfold in many days to come.

So next time you think that you are not in the right place, think again. It may seem the case but in the grand scale of things and days to come, it may just be the right place for you to be in, at the right time.

No comments: